Thursday, September 27, 2012

'It is gonna be a F|nD day. Sunny Even."

Hey all,

Settling the core mechanics of the new system has been challenging but enjoyable so far. In my hands are six pages of the F|nD Basic Core-book, and my first prototype Player Character Sheet.

These few days, I have gathered opinions and interesting ideas from Pong and Kat at my local coffeeshop. They came up with counter arguments and constructive views on what I initially came up with, so I managed to do some tweaking closer to the players' perspective. Shane too -- from the Whatsapp Chat Forums, has asked me questions regarding the system and voiced out his concerns and beliefs.

What I have with me now is a project of our years' of PnP and Gaming, hybridized to meet the expectations of a modern stats-hungry group and me, on my side, trying not to over complicate the system. Pong has been extremely helpful as well, volunteering to format the Basic Core-book when I am finished with the draft.

Then I realised that this project is not just about me creating/modding a new PnP System but a very interesting experiment too in a way to see if our group can band together to help one another when input is needed or work done, or are they around only for the "fun" parts of life.

Still, extensive play-testing will need to be done to flesh out the viability of my bedrock Difficulty Values, the new F|nD Combat Rules, and the unconventional way damage is calculated in the game. I would certainly not want Combat to end up becoming a borked drag-fest that last hours.

Many of the mechanics will be simplified to its bare bones to allow the testers to experience the system that F| nD is trying to become. I admit that it will not be pretty at the start, raw even; but I want to see if there is a chance for the game to be fun, unpredictable and plain absorbing without being too full of itself.

Hey, what can I say? This system has fans all over the world!

Currently, I am doing up the definitions of the Skills, and the base Statistics for Weapons/Equipment. There will be at least one flag-bearer weapon that will suit a certain style of Combat (Emphasis on STR, Finesse etc)

In the works for F|nD Basic are Character Races (including Racial Perks and Abilities), a placeholder Magic System, and General Perks to round out the Character at the creation process and to assist Roleplaying in the adventure. I am also toying with the idea of a Random Initiative System, either with a cup of coins or a deck of poker cards etc.

Back to the Board!

Cyall on the flip side.

(UPDATE 27/9/12) : Character Races and Magic System implemented. Base Statistics for Weapons added. Initiative System Framework processed.


No comments:

Post a Comment